Gnash can be run as a standalone application or as a plugin for most popular web browsers including Chrome & Firefox.
Other improvements cited on the release page include: -
- Gnash can switch at runtime between the Cairo, OpenGL,
and AGG renderers.
- Gnash can switch media handlers at runtime, too, between
FFmpeg and Gstreamer,
- Gnash can now decode video quickly on hardware compatible
with the VAAPI library (a few NVidia, ATI, and Intel
- Gnash now compiles faster due to reduced internal
work with ActionScript in Gnash.
- Improved input device handling when using a raw
InstallGnash 0.8.8 can be installed in Ubuntu via the getgnash repo. Add the respective source line to your Software Sources (system > preferences > software sources > third party > add)
- deb http://www.getgnash.org/debs/ubuntu maverick main
- deb http://www.getgnash.org/debs/ubuntu lucid main
- deb http://www.getgnash.org/debs/ubuntu karmic main